Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Picture Of Dorian Gray: Chapter 9-10

“and became a confirmed misanthrope” (113).  Misanthrope- a hater of humankind 

"Old brocades, green bronzes, lacquer-work, carved ivories, exquisite surroundings, luxury, pomp - there is much to be got from all these" (Wilde 114).  Brocade- fabric woven with an elaborate design, esp. one having a raised overall pattern 

“A man who is a master of himself can end a sorrow as easily as he can invent a pleasure.  I don’t want to be at the mercy of my emotions.  I want to use them, to enjoy them, and to dominate them” (112).
In this quote we see a resemblance between Dorian’s words and Harry’s words.  This is something that I’d expect to hear from Harry.  Dorian is talking about how a man who masters his emotions is a true master if himself.  He can end sorrows and create pleasure for him, and is not at the mercy of his emotions.  Dorian is saying he wants to master his emotions and he wants to enjoy his life.  Harry’s influence is just seen more through this quote.  Because of Harry’s influence Dorian was able to get over the loss of the girl he “loved”.  Dorian is changing too quickly and it is being noticed by everyone around him.  Basil is one of those.  “You talk as if you had no heart, no pity in you.  It is all Harry’s influence.  I see that” (112).  

“‘Yes? I thought you would like it’ […] ‘I didn’t say I liked it, Harry, I said it fascinated me.  There is a great difference.’  ‘Ah, you have discovered that?’”  (129).
In this quote Dorian is telling Harry how he felt about the book that Harry had left him to read.  Dorian said it was a “poisonous book” (129).  The book fascinated him and he tells Harry this.  Harry is pleased because he thought Dorian would like it, but is mistaken.  Dorian says “I didn’t say I liked it” (129).  It is very interesting to see this interaction.  It shows how Dorian is evolving through the novel.  He saw things for their outward appearance, but is now seeing things more in depth, as it is shown through his talking of the book.  It also is interesting to see Harry’s reaction to Dorian.  He is surprised and seems happy that Dorian has changed this much because it is all a result of his influence upon Dorian.  

No comments: