Monday, March 30, 2009

Pride and Prejudice 8: ch 11-13

"Had I been in love, I could not have been more wretchedly blind.  But vanity, not love, has been my folly.  Pleased with preference of one, and offended by the neglect of the other, on the very beginning of our acquaintance, I have courted prepossession and ignorance, and driven reason away where either were concerned.  Till this moment, I never knew myself" (205). 
  • Elizabeth has realized her faults through this quote.  She has been blinded by her first impressions of people.  She has also been blinded by her pride and prejudices towards people.  We now see where the two titles of the books came from.  First impressions are valued too much in this society and the people never really take a chance on getting to understand those who have a bad first impression.  On the other hand if a person has a good first impression they are thought to be a good person and their character is not questioned.  This is perfectly illustrated with Elizabeth’s feelings toward Mr. Darcy and Mr. Wickham.  Her first impressions of the two individuals created a prejudice that blinded her and it was not until now that she has realized her mistake.  She must not make an effort to try and make things right, but it will not be easy.

Mr. Darcy’s proposal and letter were
I- Heartfelt
II- Full of Pride
III- Thoughtful and showing his true feelings
A.) I
B.) II
C.) III
D.) I &III
E.) II & III

No comments: