Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Crucible HW 11/5/08 pgs 20-36

"Abigail: I know how you clutched my back behind your house and sweated like a stallion whenever I come near!  Or did I dream that?  It's she put me out, you cannot pretend it were you.  I saw your face when she put me out, and you loved me then and you do now!" (22)
  • The relationship between Abigail and Proctor is foggy at best.  The reader is not given a true answer about their relationship, or what their relationship pertains to.  Is it sexual or casual?  From Abigail's statement it seems as if they had a past sexual relationship, but Proctor strongly denies this claim.  This could also be a motive for Abigail drinking the charm to kill Proctor's wife.  She may want Proctor all to herself.
What is the relationship, past and present, between Proctor and Abby?

"Putman: He had no right to sell it.  It stands clear in my grandfather's will that all the land between the river and-
Proctor: Your grandfather had a habit of willing land that never belonged to him, if I may say it plain."
  • There seems to be a underlying theme that is continuous throughout the play.  The townspeople all seem to dislike each other for certain reasons.  Putman puts his family up on a pedestal, and looks down upon others.  Proctor seems to be more levelheaded about the situation and says what he feels.  There seems to be a conflict eminent, and it may not be the witch hunt itself.  
How will the tensions between Proctor and Putman play out?  Why is there conflict between the people of Salem?

No comments: