Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Crucible HW page 113

“Proctor: My wife, my dear good wife, took this girl soon after, sir, and put her out on the highroad.  And being what she is, a lump of vanity, sir- Excellency, forgive me, forgive me.  She thinks to dance with me on my wife’s grave!  And well she might, for I thought of her softly.  God help me, I lusted, and there is a promise in such sweat.  But it is a whore’s vengeance, and you must see it; I set myself entirely in your hands.  I know you must see it now.” (110)
  • This is one of the most important parts of the book this far along in the story.  It is very powerful, and will have a great affect on the outcome of Elizabeth, and possibly on the others accused by the young group of girls.  Proctor is honest, like he always has been throughout the story, and has revealed a major flaw to the court.  This flaw will be seen as a horrible act, but Proctor came out and admitted it himself.  Having admitted it himself Danforth should realize that there is a lie being told by Abigail and the other girls.  Unfortunately, I do not have much hope for anyone because the deceitfulness of Abigail and the other girls, along with the love Elizabeth has for John.  She will protect him which will lead to her downfall.
How will this section play into the fate of the women accused?  Will it help them, do nothing, or help in there demise?

“Danforth: Good then.  And if she tell me, child, it were for harlotry, may God spread His mercy on you!” (112)
  • It would be very easy to look over this quote and its significance to the story, but it shows us more of the characterization of Danforth.  He is a very judgmental, even is he says he isn’t.  He goes from hearing the accusations of the girls and believing them to hearing the words of Proctor and believing them.  We see this as a positive change, but it really is no change at all.  He is still easily convinced, and almost confused with this whole situation.  He really has not changed much in his short section of being involved in the book, even though he might be one of the most crucial characters that will decide the fate of the women.  The fact that he has no changed is bad for the women.  He will most likely stick to whoever confesses will be set free and those who “lie” will hang.  
Will Danforth's ideas ever change?  Will he free Elizabeth after she fails his “test”?

No comments: