Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Crucible HW page 49

“Tituba: He say Mr. Parris must be kill!  Mr. Parris no goodly man, Mr. Parris mean man and no gentle man, and he bid me rise out of my bed and cut your throat!  But I tell him ‘No!  I don’t hate that man.  I don’t want kill that man.’  But he say, ‘You work for me, tituba, and I make you free!  I give you pretty dress to wear, and put you way high up in the air, and you gone fly back to Barbados!’  And I say, ‘you lie, Devil, you lie!’  And then he come one stormy night to me, and he say, ‘Look!  I have white people belong to me.’  And I look- and there was Goody Good.” (47)
  • This selection is most likely a lie to try and save herself.  They told her they would kill her for the acts she had done.  She admits to doing these things and hearing these words only to save herself.  She goes from vehemently denying what happened to admitting details and giving names, only to save herself.  
Is there anyone who does not lie to protect themselves in Salem?

“Abigail- I want to open myself!  I want the light of God, I wand the sweet love of Jesus!  I danced for the Devil; I saw him; I wrote in his book; I go back to Jesus; I kiss His hand.  I saw Sarah Good with the Devil!  I saw Goody Osburn with the Devil!  I saw Bridget Bishop with the Devil!” (48)
  • Abigail sees how the people react to Tituba’s confession, and she wants the same for her.  She puts on an act to try and earn sympathy for admitting what she has done wrong.  She also uses this to incriminate others.  She puts blame on others and says she saw them with the Devil.  I do not understand how the others around her do not see how much of a liar she is.  She puts the blame on everyone but herself.  She blames Tituba and then incriminates others when she fins the opening.  It is ridiculous how much she is getting away with
Will Abigail ever be caught in her web of lies?

No comments: