Monday, December 1, 2008

Letter 1

My dearest Elizabeth,
Oh how much I miss you.  I have spent these past many nights thinking of you and the boys.  I wish I could be there with you.  I think about being with you with every breathe I take.
I want my life, but I do not know if I can give up my name.  If only I could make it so that I would not have to give them that piece of me.  It is a man's most prized possession.  It is an almost impossible decision to make.  I want to be with you and live the rest of my life with you, but I do not think I can live that lie knowing I lied to free myself.
I love you Elizabeth.  I have made some horrible mistakes in my  life.  I'm truly sorry that I hurt you.  I want you to know that my love has never changed.  I only hope that you can remember this when I am gone.  I want you to live your life.  I do not want you to have any feelings of remorse.  You did nothing wrong.  You tried your best to help me, but sadly the town has gone through so much corruption that the truthful are the ones who suffer.  I hope someday that people will look back on these events and see everyone for who they truly were.
My last thing that I wish to get across to you is how much you truly have meant to me during this time.  You have been there for me when I have needed it.  The thoughts of you are the only things that are keeping me going.  You are the most important thing in my life.  I am so glad to have spent this time with you.  The only regret I have is not being able to spend more of my life with you.  I truly love you Elizabeth.  You are the best wife a man could ask for.
Your loving husband,
John Proctor 

No comments: