Monday, December 1, 2008

Letter 2

Mr. Hale,
It is only now, during the last few days of my life, that I have come to fully understand the consequences of my actions.  I write to you knowing the right people will see this letter.  I wish to ask for the forgiveness from the people of Salem.  I was in the wrong.  I empowered evil.  I looked for the truth and found lies.  Even when I found the truth, I believed it was too late.  I sought to keep my name clean.  I sought to save my reputation.  I was wrong.  I was blinded by my ego. Instead of admitting that I was wrong, I continued down the dark path of lies.  I condemned the truthful and set the liars free.  It is now that I see how truly ignorant I was.  I am sorry.
Secondly, I wish to apologize to Elizabeth Proctor.  I should have been more reasonable.  Your husband was a good man.  He was true to himself to the very end.  I am truly sorry that I did not realize this earlier.  I did not believe you or your husband.  You both are good, truthful people.  If only there were more people like yourselves in the town.  I envy your courage and bravery throughout the events.
Finally to you Mr. Hale, you are a good and faithful man.  You sought to find the truth in the situation.  You saw through the lies.  You saw the people for who they really were.  I should have trusted your opinion more.  You are and very knowledgeable man.  I am sorry that I doubted you.
I would also like everyone to know that I am very sorry.  I have felt guilt since these events took place.  I only hope that I can receive some clearance of mind and possibly some forgiveness.
Sincerely,
Danforth 

No comments: